Antioch Police Department wants to provide residents with a few tips on how to prevent auto burglaries.
AUTO BURGLARY AND THEFTS FROM VEHICLES ARE PREVENTABLE
Most thefts from vehicles are preventable. A few simple steps can reduce your risk of losing your property and having your car damaged. Follow these steps to keep your car and its contents safer. Make it a habit to protect yourself and help reduce crime in Antioch.
PRACTICE T. L. C.
- Take Out Valuables
- If you can leave your valuables at home, do so. Otherwise, when you get to your destination, take any valuables with you. If you have to leave them in your vehicle, place them in your trunk before you get to your destination.
- Lock your Vehicle
- No need to say more.
- Close Doors and Windows
- An open door or window allows a thief a quick and quiet way to enter your vehicle. Even a window that is open just a crack makes the thief’s job so much easier. Take the time to make sure you close everything.
Why are vehicles burglarized?
The reason vehicle burglaries happen so often is because people make it easier for thieves. Far too often we leave valuable items in plain view. Thieves can quickly enter an open or unlocked vehicle without appearing suspicious. Increasingly, thieves are using personal information found in vehicles to commit identity theft.
What items are often stolen?
You might be surprised by what thieves are looking for and what victims make easily available to them:
- iPhones or other cell phones
- Laptop computers
- Mail, address books, receipts
- Purses or wallets
- Vehicle registration
- Shopping bags and contents
- Gym bags
- Jackets or other clothing of value
- Briefcases or bags
- Garage door openers
- Money or loose change
- Various electronic devices
Location, Location, Location
You choose where you park your vehicle. It is important to take care where you park. Thieves are looking for vehicles they can enter with the least possibility of someone watching and alerting authorities. Ideally, the best place to park is in your locked garage. Otherwise, here are other important factors to consider:
- Don’t park where others cannot see your vehicle, such as behind buildings, shrubbery, landscaping berms, or large vehicles.
- Don’t park in all-day unattended parking areas.
- Do park in well lit areas.
- Do park where your vehicle is visible to others.
- Do join a Neighborhood and/or Business Watch group.
TLC Benefits YOU
When you practice a little T L C, you help yourself and our community.
- Your windows don’t get broken.
- Your insurance rates don’t go up.
- Your city has a lower crime rate.
- You don’t have to replace stolen items.
- You don’t have to order another driver’s license, credit cards, etc.
- You don’t have to pay for expensive repairs.
- You don’t expose yourself to identify theft.
- You don’t have to wait for insurance reimbursement.
- You don’t have to wait for car repairs.
- You don’t have to pay any insurance deductible.
- You don’t lose irreplaceable items.
- There is no broken glass to clean up.
- Mark your valuables.
- Record your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and/or license plate.
- Use anti-theft devices.
- Share only your “valet” key.
- Don’t have a key ring with any personal information on it.
- Report any and all suspicious activity to the Antioch Police Department.
Here the downloadable PDF guide: Antioch Police Department – TLC guide
For events in Antioch, click here